Great Skua, Stercorarius skua
c11 records of c16 individuals.
A rare autumn passage visitor, the vast majority occurring in the second half of September. Usually associated with stormy weather. The presence of this species usually causes consternation among the local gulls.
- 22nd August 2007, 2
- 17th September 2001, 1 (adult)
- 21st August 1999, 1 (flew off west)
- 19th September 1997, 1 (immature, again on 21-23rd September)
- 15th September 1994, 2
- 5th November 1991, 1 (flew west)
- 29th September 1991, 4
- 30th September 1978, 1 (adult)
- 17th September - 2 October 1977 (singles on five dates, may have been the same individual. On 24th it was seen eating a Redshank)
- 23rd September 1976, 1 (dead)
- 12th September 1976, 1
4, 29th September 1991.
All material copyright Jono Leadley 2005